If you fancy trying out pizza making from scratch we can highly recommend our Pizza Pie recipe. Great with all of our chilli jams! Scroll to the bottom to see a video showing how ours went!
For a 12 inch deep tin (serves 6-8)
3 tsp sugar
400g plain bread flour
300ml warm water approx. 40C
3 tsp salt
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Half a sachet of fast action dried yeast (approx. 4g)
3 cans tomatoes (plum tomatoes will work well!)
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp chopped fresh basil (or dried)
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic finely chopped
75g grated parmesan
Plus: 250g grated mozzarella
1) Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water.
2) Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the yeasty water and oil. Mix and knead thoroughly until a dough is formed.
3) Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes until the dough is smooth and soft. Dust with flour while kneading if it’s too sticky.
4) Place into a mixing bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1.5hours, until it has roughly doubled in size.
5) Meanwhile make the sauce: Drain the tomatoes in a sieve, squashing them so the tomatoes break down and ensure all the liquid is drained away. Add to the remaining sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
6) Turn dough out onto your work surface and knead for 1 minute. Divide it into two pieces and roll out both pieces until they are roughly 1/8inch thick. They should be a bit bigger than the size of your tin.
7) Lightly oil your tin and place the first dough sheet on the bottom. Cover with half the mozzarella and place the second dough sheet on top. Press down and crimp around the edges to create a crust for your pizza. Make sure that the crust comes up about 2 inches around the side of the tin so you’ve got plenty of space to fill the pizza! Cut a couple of holes in the middle of the dough to allow air to escape.
8) Spread your tomato sauce evenly over the base.
9) Cover with the remaining mozzarella
10) Bake at 220C for 30-40minutes until the crust is browned.
11) Enjoy with lots of chilli jam!