Raspberry & Chocolate Pancakes
Recipe by Claire Connor
Our Octavia raspberry preserve makes the perfect hidden surprise in these fluffy pancakes. The rise in them comes from the acidic buttermilk reacting with the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, so work quickly once you have mixed the wet and dry ingredients together.
Ingredients (serves one-two)
- 100g plain flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 7g baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 150ml buttermilk
- 100g dark chocolate chips, divided into two 50g portions (one half for melting)
- Octavia Raspberry Preserve
- A few small knobs of butter, for frying
- Put the oven on a low heat, to keep the cooked pancakes warm while you make the rest.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in a bowl.
- In a separate jug, mix together the egg and buttermilk.
- Put a pan on a medium heat and add a knob of butter.
- Once your pan is hot, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. Be careful not to overmix – a few little lumps are fine.
- Ladle a small amount of batter into the hot pan, so that the pancake is about 7cm across. Allow to cook for 30 seconds, then dot a teaspoon of preserve into the middle of the pancake. Add just enough batter to cover the jam, then sprinkle over a few chocolate chips. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles start to appear on the surface. Carefully turn the pancake over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Put the cooked pancakes in the oven to keep warm and repeat the process until all the batter is used up, adding more butter to the pan as necessary.
- To make your pancake stack, put a pancake in the middle of a plate and spread with a little more preserve, if you like, and sprinkle over a few chocolate chips then put another pancake on top. Repeat with the rest of the pancakes and add a dollop of natural yoghurt on the top, and a few fresh raspberries.
- Heat the remaining 50g dark chocolate in the microwave in 20 second bursts, stirring each time, until melted. Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the pancakes.
Our Octavia Raspberry Preserve is available to buy online here