Jalapeño, Cheese & Potato Puff Pastry Pie
Recipe by Claire Connor
These simple yet indulgent pies make the perfect no-fuss midweek treat. Mature cheddar cheese works well here, but you can experiment by replacing some of it with another cheese – grated mozzarella makes a lovely addition.
Ingredients (makes 2 pies)
- 375g pack of ready-rolled puff pastry
- Approx. 2-4 tablespoons of Single Variety Co Jalapeño Jam, depending on taste
- 400g potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm slices
- 4 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1 small onion
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- A couple of knobs of butter, for frying and greasing
- A lightly beaten egg, for glazing
- Place the potatoes in a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 7 minutes until just tender. Drain, then mix in the crème fraiche.
- Meanwhile, melt a knob of butter in a pan and fry the onion over a medium heat until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Mix the onion with the potatoes and set aside to cool completely.
- Roll out the pastry, and with the long edge facing you, cut the pastry vertically in half. Then cut each rectangle horizontally, just off centre, so that you have 4 rectangles, 2 slightly larger than the other two.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Layer a quarter of the potato mixture along the centre of one of the smaller rectangles, leaving a border of around a centimetre. Top it with a quarter of the cheese. Dot some of the jalapeno jam on top – for a mild flavour, use approximately a teaspoon – if you find that you would like more heat you can always put some extra on your plate, but it is very hard to take it out once the pie has cooked! Layer with another quarter of the potatoes, quarter of the cheese and another teaspoon of jam dotted along the top.
- Brush the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg, then place one of the larger rectangles of pastry over the filling, and seal the edges. Brush the top with more beaten egg, then make 3 small slashes in the top to let steam escape while it cooks.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for the second pie.
- Carefully place the pies on a lightly greased baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until golden. Serve with a side salad, and more jalapeno jam, if desired!
Our Jalapeno Jam is available to buy online here