Rhubarb & Custard Tart
Recipe by Claire Connor
There's no better combination than rhubarb & custard! We've put the two in this delicious tart. Don’t be scared of making your own pastry! Follow the simple steps below and you will have mastered it in no time. However, if you don’t have the time or would rather not attempt it, you can buy a 375g block of ready-made dessert pastry.
Ingredients (serves 8)
For the pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 175g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 45g icing sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1/2 jar Harbinger Rhubarb Preserve
- 150ml whole milk
- 150ml double cream
- 3 eggs
- 85g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- To make the pastry, pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the sugar, egg and water, and pulse again until the dough starts to come together. Empty onto a lightly floured work surface and knead a few times until smooth. Shape into a disc and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and place a baking sheet in to warm up. Roll the pastry out to the thickness of a £1 coin and use to line a 23cm loose bottomed tart tin. Leave the excess pastry hanging over the sides. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- While the pastry is baking make the filling. Heat the milk, cream and vanilla essence in a saucepan until boiling and take off the heat. Whisk the eggs and sugar together, then pour in the hot milk mixture, whisking continuously. Strain into a jug.
- Spoon approximately half a jar of rhubarb preserve onto the baked pastry, then carefully pour on the custard. Place back in the oven for 35-40 minutes. The tart should have a slight wobble when you remove it from the oven, as it will continue to cook slightly once it’s out.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes then trim off the excess pastry with a sharp knife (facing away from the custard), slice and serve. Best eaten the same day.
Our Harbinger Rhubarb Preserve is available to buy online here