Lemon Drop Chilli Cake
Recipe by Izzy
We used our Lemon Drop Chilli Jam to make this twist on a Lemon Cake- and boy does it work! You can adjust the heat to meet your needs- our recipe gives you a nice warming flavour which is complemented perfectly by the cooling mascarpone icing.
2oz (50 g) soft unsalted butter
3oz (85 g) self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3oz (85 g) caster sugar
2 tablespoons milk
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
Lemon Drop Chilli jam
For Mascarpone cream:
Juice of 1 lemon
3 1/2oz (95 g) Mascarpone cheese
1 1/2oz (45 g) double cream
2 1/4oz (65 g) icing sugar
2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas 4.
- Lightly grease and base line one 1lb (450 g) loaf tin with greased greaseproof paper, or line with a case.
- Measure all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat well for 2 minutes. Add 3 teaspoons of the chilli jam (less or more according to taste) and fold into the mix gently. Pour into the baking tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes (check after 25).
- Whilst the cake is baking, measure the mascarpone and double cream into a bowl and whisk for 30 seconds. Sift in the icing sugar and fold into the mixture with a spatula until the consistency is smooth. Measure the lemon juice and pour in slowly whilst folding the mixture.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning out and removing the paper.
- Spread the cream mixture and decorate!
Our Lemon Drop Chilli Jam is available to buy online here